Tuesday, January 29

Much Ado About Nothing - plays/ texts for comparison?

I have an essay to write on Much Ado About Nothing. Am thinking I could 'compare + contrast' with another comedy, perhaps written around a similar time, or maybe a bit later. Any ideas? I'm stuck - this is an area of literature which I really need to find out more about. By comparing and contrasting, I could write about the way the form is used, the comedy, effects of his contemporaries perhaps...

suggestions? I would even consider poetry. Or something in translation. Very much open to ideas. Of course, I could do another question, rather than the one about it being a comedy, but seeing as my weak point is genre, it would make sense to stretch myself a bit more, do some reading (albeit quickly and intensely!), and find out some things.

2 comments:

Emily Tesh said...

Perhaps 'Twelfth Night'? You could do some interesting stuff on the active vs. the passive heroine (Viola/Beatrice against Olivia/Hero) and Twelfth Night is a fantastic read, one of his absolute best, with lots of interesting stuff about gender and sexuality if you're looking for it (the biggest love story is a lesbian one.)

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about renaissance comedy that isn't Shakespearean, but you might want to take a look at the Italian conventions of commedia dell'arte, which I seem to remember is the direct precedent, and is certainly interesting in its own right - although you can't really read any since it was all improvised and there were no scripts.

Katy Murr said...

Hello again Emily,

you name the same play the first person I asked suggested. I'll see if I can get a copy from a second-hand bookshop tomorrow, and if not maybe resort to a first-hand bookshop! It does sound wonderful - highly provocative, from what you've told me. And yes, that's precisely what I'm after. Some meaty content for discussion!

I'll have a look if I can get some books out tomorrow. I'll be going to the library anyway, as I've got a few things very much overdue (at least they'll get my fines paid as they're so late!)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on! I'd best get reading fast when I get the books. What an ideal accompaniment for tomorrow night's babysitting!