Wednesday, November 7

Banal event, you might say.

One of my friends had his bike stolen this week. No big deal, right? Forget about it, people have insurance, and it mustn’t have been locked properly if it managed to get stolen! This time, I do think, yes, actually it is a big deal for me. He uses it a lot normally, he enjoys using it, and it was his. He’s not a rich bastard living in a big house who can easily afford to buy a new one, he’s a typical student; and the crappy insurance (this is something which really pisses me off about insurance!) makes it so that it’s ‘not worth claiming’. Useful, eh?

People would inevitably reply with saying how there are things more important, with a wise look intact; how I shouldn’t let me get it down (I’m not, but it does piss me off; there’s a difference, which a lot of people don’t seem to see…); how he can buy a new one if he really wants, and if he doesn’t buy a new one, then hey, he doesn’t really want a new one. I just don’t understand the motivation. Were I to steal (not that I would), but hypothetically, I would at least try ensure it was off someone who wouldn’t be too affected, who wouldn’t feel my tugging their bike away, who wouldn’t sit wondering where it’s now being sold off to.

Plus, I know I’d be angry if my bike was nicked: I like to ride my bike, like to ride my bicycle… (smile?)

4 comments:

Tom said...

Most people who steal things are opportunists. Remove the opportunity and most thieving git's won't bother to make the effort.

I'm happy to see another post, it's been a while, but not as long as the gap in which I assume you went to France. Always looking out for new posts. :)

Anonymous said...

Due to this post, I thing it is high time you return all the things belonging to me that are probably currently lying underneath the organised mess in your room. Much appreciated...I can't afford to buy more.

Going to be fat now. said...

It was my bike, It pissed me off. And i keep daydreaming that if i see them taking off with somebody elses bike; I'll "terry tate" their ass...youtube it :)

...I know have to cope with the grotty/over-priced/uncomftable/unsatisfying/exercise-less trip in bus that never manages to be their when it says it should. Having to swap the fresh smelling early morning air, for the stench of stale cigarette smoke.

Katy Murr said...

tom - a gap in which I was a lazy sod, and, yes, went to France. (Including Paris this time!) I'm not really sure about the point/ purpose in blogging, other than a forum for the few people who want to read to read... but I continue, nonetheless, it's quite nice to have some things and think that maybe people will get what on earth you're on about! (Hopefully with a tad more eloquence than my last sentence...)

anon - finally, I have.

going to be fat now... - no, you won't. Mmmmn. Bus company can prove uncomfortable, but not always. Use it as a time to semi-sleep? ;)