Sunday, September 30

Books I would like to read.

'If you're happy and you know it...' - Andre Jordan. See: http://www.abeautifulrevolution.com/blog/

Some learning to drive stuff/ theory. Not because I'm overly enthused about the actual reading of the book, more the actual driving and... FREEDOM. Finalement? peut-etre?

(I thought of lots of other books last night when I'd read some poems, but now my memory seems to not be working too fast.)

'Crush' - poems by Richard Siken. Everyone should have this book, as well as The Catcher in The Rye. I'm borrowing the book off a friend but found myself making slight pencil marks on it last night, and concluded that I need my own copy. Actual need.

Some kind of tourbook/ alternative tourbook on Berlin. (Albeit in advance, as this is not actualy planned, although it is planned in my mind.)

'To The Lighthouse' - Woolf. Again, own copy needed.

'Some German Poetry anthology' (this is not the title.) which I saw in the big W, which also has fabby English translations which seemed quite good. And it is in nice hardbook. Which is always a delighful surprise, even if a planned on surprise. (Does that make sense?)

'Ariel' - Plath. Siken is compared with her book Ariel; therefore it is to be read.
---

I am now going to give you some delightful Siken tidbits, b-b-because I am so lovely. and appreciate what it is to be entertained and delighted by poetry. Of course. And because it is almost edible.

Stop scratching whatever itch you have, and please enjoy.

... Your name like
a song I sing to myself, your name like a box
where I keep my love, your name like a nest
in the tree of love, your name like a boat in the
sea of love -- O now we're in the sea of love!
Your name like detergent in the washing machine...

It's a bed of straw, darling. It sure as shit is.

...and here is the centre
of me, which is a lake, which is a well that we
can drink from, but I can't go through with it.
I just don't want to die anymore.

this is all from 'Saying your names', which was possibly my favourite poem out of the ones I read last night.

3 comments:

charlotte geater said...

Richard Siken is actually AMAZING. I am far too tired to leave an intelligent coherent comment but he's brilliant, I'm glad to see that other people know who he is etc.!

Dark Daughta said...

Did you see the Hours? I haven't read any Woolf. But I'm curious about whether the movie managed to get anything right, whatsoever.

Katy Murr said...

charlotte -

me too. I need to order his book, really need to order it - I've now given my copy back to my friend! (They got fed up of waiting for it)

dark daughta -

yeh, I've seen The Hours a couple of times, it's a film I like to persuade people to watch! Did the film not make you want to read some Woolf? I find Woolf exciting, incredibly so considering when she was writing. Most of all, she intrigues me! The film got the main structure, but much was lost for me, as I find is generally the case when novels are turned into films... the language, of course, and having actors act out the characters who you had already created in your imagination. There were certain bits which stick out for me, like the kiss between the person in America and her neighbour, and the kiss between Woolf and her sister, or perhaps the stream of consciousness going through Woolf's mind (supposedly) when burying the bird... have you read The Hours? I'd say try Mrs Dalloway, if you want to read something of Woolf to start with. I've not read much - Mrs Dalloway, To The Lighthouse, varies biographical stuff and some of her diaries, and I tries The Waves (to be returned to...) Or maybe you could try 'A Room of One's Own'? That's a shortish essay around writing and feminism and the power to write as well as the freedom to...