Saturday, August 25

Something I've never understood...

when filling out forms with personal details, for a bank account/ card/ boots card/ whatever it is account, why don't companies assume that a woman or girl is a Ms? Wouldn't it make life better, and easier, also encouraging more people to take up Ms?

It's a sensible, simple idea, isn't it? Who wants to be Miss, or Mrs, when males have the privilege of not having to disclose (or be asked to disclose!) their marital status?!

---

I am writing/ thinking about this this because I now realise that all my bank details, etc are under the title 'Miss'. Yeuch. Although considering there was a point when I thought 'Ms' meant that a woman was a lesbian (thankfully I'm more up-to-date on basic Feminist 'issues' now), perhaps it wasn't so peculiar that I must've always used Miss. Eurgh. Why did no-one educate me about this when I was younger?! Why was this missed off the school curriculum? (Yes, I DO believe it should be included.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I very nearly put 'Ms.' on the form for my new job... but then didn't. I now regret this. Boooo.

Cat x

Anonymous said...

K,

I agree entirely with your sentiment here. When I was shocked to notice on a prescription the other day my name written as "Master _________", it felt so child-like, patronising, and I realised what it must be like to be constantly referred to as 'miss' - the title you give to a 3 year old.

Would it make life better? Quite likely; but easier? I don't know... encouraging people to take up 'ms' instead of 'mrs' or 'miss' - I can't see how that could be easier, just for the simple reason that it's always easier to do nothing and leave things the way they are than it is to try to change anything - especially when we're talking about other people's habits (which are typically, stubbornly difficult to change).
What do I know, though? please explain...

HX

Katy Murr said...

Cat -

change it? Just ask to alter your details. It shouldn't cause a cuffuffle. :)

H -

the title often given not only to a three year old! Easier? It might educate people a little. I doubt most people would bother to change it from Ms to Miss or Mrs, should Ms become standard (like... law?) 'just for the simple reason that it's always easier to do nothing and leave things the way they are than it is to try to change anything' - exactly why we need a Ms as expectation for details.

'What do I know, though? please explain...' hmmm?