Sunday, November 26

Yesterday

I bought three new books. Technically not 'new' (although one looked hardly read at all), as they were from Oxfam, but still.

Three more books. Oh deary dear. (I still try to convince myself it's all good though, because after all, they were from Oxfam, so, to a good cause.)

  1. Miscellany One - Dylan Thomas
  2. Birthday Letters - Ted Hughes ('Later, inside your poems/ Which they wore like gloves, the same hands/ Left big fingerprints. The same/ Inside your last-stand letters/ Which they wore like gloves.' -- From 'The Hands') I have a thing about hands. I have a thing about poems. I have a thing about letters. I have a thing about gloves. & I shall be reading some more of this. (One thing I wonder though, why the capital letters at the beginnings of the lines?)
  3. A sort of anthology. (Shall not elaborate on this - it seems brand new, barely looked through, and I think it would be ideal for a particular friend as part of their Christmas present. There is a slight problem though - I do want it for myself...)

Really need another bookcase, I really do. I think, however, desperate times call for desperate measures: I shall not be buying any more books until I have read every single book I possess.

Whether this will send me into frequent library visits, pleading friends to borrow theirs, or simply reading a lot more, I don't yet know.

We shall see.

PS A neighbour is trying to train their (presumably new) dog. Most amusing. I can see from the window, and hear. I don't think the dog understands at all.

10 comments:

Kezmondo said...

Haha, I can just imagine the dog looking totally bumused...it is making me laugh loads, but I don't know why...

Katy said...

Do you need a reason?

rowena said...

Hehe I've told myself numerous times that I will read every book on my shelf before I buy another. It's like people who smoke and tell themselves every day that they will quit: it ain't ever gonna happen.

Katy said...

*whistles contentedly, ignoring Rowena's comment...*

rowena said...

That's it. Denial is your friend *pat*

Anonymous said...

I don't have a shelf - so i don't have that problem. Although i do have a problem of finding a space to put my feet when I get out of bed in the morning. I just tell myself that the books are 'neat piles' and not mess as many would say.

Katy said...

anonymous (ahem...) - I have a recipe (is that spelt correctly?) for you. It's oh-so-tasty. Best had not mind sharing a bit with me if I make it for you :D

Anonymous said...

Well please make one for me - then I can come to the decision of whether or not to share it with you. Oh and not having a shelf means you don't have the problem of choosing a book to read either - it's just like one big lucky dip!

Katy said...

anonymous - I shall need to get special ingredients, but plently of time yet. Hmm... still don't see how that solves the problem?

Anonymous said...

Boxes! Get rid of the shelf! Because really it's not that big is it?! But boxes, now don't me me started on boxes......